I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior in earnest on April 20, 2008. This blog was created to help me take better notice of all the good in the world. I give glory to God for it all.

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Give me one reason--Day 257

I think one of the reasons I may have enjoyed the sermon today is that it discussed maturity of faith. I would tell anyone who asks that I am immature in my faith. I have so much to learn. Sometimes I feel there are so many people to learn from. Pastor Don says in that it is not him we should be learning from. It is the Holy Spirit. Pastor Don dislikes and warns against getting attached to a "person." After many hours of thought (I wrote part of his Sunday, but ran into a mental stumbling block, and finished on Monday), this reminds me of Proverbs 2. If we accept His words and store up His commands within us, turn up our ears to wisdom, apply our hearts to understanding, call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, then we will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. We have to be able to discern whom the Holy Spirit is actually working through and follow Him.


Mature believers have a deeper understanding of the things of God.


My understanding is not yet deep. Although my belief is held very deep within me, my understanding is sometimes superficial and is not yet where I want it to be.

Mature believers are taught by the Spirit of God.
Again, I'm not all the way there yet. I listen to the sermons, I go to the classes, I question others, but I do not fully apply what I learn. One is not being taught if (s)he is not learning.

Mature believers accept the things (or teachings) of God.
I accept them, but I feel I ask too many questions. Questions are necessary, but many times would not be if I would accept what the Holy Spirit is trying to teach me. On the other hand, without the questions, I feel I will not gain a deeper understanding of what I'm learning.

Mature believers judge all things.


Being as introspective as I am, I judge nearly everything. The important thing here though is to adhere to the first three concepts of mature believers.

Yesterday's blog title was based on a song Colton and Garrett were playing on Rockband. Today it's named after a song Colton played air guitar to. I played air guitar to it one time long ago, and every time he hears it, he lets me know. There's a guitar solo near the end of it and he called me from his room when it was getting near. From the bottom of the stairs I watch as he breaks into full on air guitar. He barely missed a beat and we were both smiling at the end. I've added it to the playlist for now. It's nearly impossible to not bob your head or tap your foot as you listen to it. If you know how to play the air guitar, give it a listen.

God is groovy.

0 friendly remarks: