I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior in earnest on April 20, 2008. This blog was created to help me take better notice of all the good in the world. I give glory to God for it all.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Baptisms--Day 60

Kim, Colton, Gabrielle and I were baptized on Wednesday as well as four other people including another husband and wife. It was a wonderful experience and one that I will never forget. Scott and Traci started us off by leading us in singing The River. Scott seems to be a superb leader, musician and best of all, a great Christian. I really hope I can get to know him better. Traci's voice is angelic. Hearing her sing at church has brought me to tears a few times, and very nearly did on this day.

Here is a version of a song. I've played it repeatedly since that day, and played it as I created this blog. Feel free to do the same. Not quite as good as Traci, Scott and the rest of us in unison, but very meaningful nonetheless.

04_-_The_River_(Album_Version).mp3


Dennis did us the pleasure of taking great pictures, so I'll tell the story through them...


We were very lucky to have such a nice day. The water was cool as we entered, but not too bad. I was never very cold at all.



I felt very peaceful throughout the whole ceremony. You see that hand on my shoulder? Maybe that was part of it. I'm not sure I knew it was there, but seeing that now, it means a lot.




I was the second of the group and first in my family to be baptized. It was over very quickly and Kim said it looked like he had actually pushed me down. I think the emotion I was feeling the most at this time was joy. Gabrielle appears intrigued by Uncle Dennis or someone in the rest of the congregation. Such innocence.




Kim appears to be smiling. I can only assume she was feeling joyful as well. I look like I can't believe what just happened...or I need a haircut so I'm pulling my hair back. It's the latter, actually. I was never very excited. As I've said, it was mostly peace and joy I was feeling.




Kim was up next. She would later describe the experience as "wonderful" and was very happy we went through with this.




I'm glad I was there to experience her baptism. It's a beautiful thing to watch.




Look at that smile! Isn't that great?! I appear to be smiling as well. Colton appears to have sort of a frozen smile that is giving the appearance of happiness with some "This water is cold!" mixed in. :)




Colton's always had a very contagious smile and laugh. Looking at him smile and hearing him laugh makes me do the same. He looks like he's looking forward to it as he said he was earlier in the day.




We all watch as he's baptized...




...and he comes up smiling, too. He also appears to be looking directly at Gabrielle. That probably brought her a little bit of comfort.




If you get a close up on the picture, she's smiling as well. Rather than a contagious smile, she has a smile that just warms my heart. Knowing my baby girl is happy makes me happy.




She is the last of us four to be baptized...




...and she appears to have enjoyed it as much as the rest of us.




In one sense, we walked out together as we walked in together. In another sense, I think the family that walked out is different than the family that walked in. We're even closer than we were before and our hearts are closer to God. Noah is going to be an unknowing beneficiary of all this LOVE.



Fran is there as we walk out. Apparently she had been taking pictures. As wet as I still was she was there to give me a hug. I don't know her very well either, but she has meant a lot to me. She has answered my e-mails filled with questions as thouroughly as possible. I was introduced to her after Kim had found out she had read my first blog and was moved by it. Of everyone I told about that experience, she seemed to understand what it meant to me the most. Later on, she would give me probably the biggest hug I've ever been given outside of my family. She seems so happy for all of us.




I don't usually care for pictures of myself, especially close-ups. As far as I know, I could be staring at my sandy feet, but to me, I look introspective. I am introspective. That's who I am and always have been. Between the busyness behind me and the large group of people in front of me, stands a new man of God with joy, peace and love in his heart. The sun God made is warming my back and reflecting off the water. Nice picture, Dennis.





Probably almost immediately after that last picture, I got a long hug from Dennis. I'm sure everyone there was overjoyed to be able to experience the love emminating from this small area on God's green earth. I later shook hands with a couple of deacons that were there. They congratulated us with smiles on their faces. Scott shook my hand and congratulated us as well.

At the meeting in his office on Sunday, Kim and I had sensed a bit of apprehensiveness from Pastor Don. I felt it was because he really didn't really know us very well and was being to asked to do something very important in our lives. I realized later Wednesday night how comfortable he had made everything. I later thanked him for everything. He thanked me for allowing him to take part in this glorious event. He wasn't just saying what he thought he should say. He really meant it and is more than happy to baptize anyone who wants a closer relationship with God.

Thank you, Lord, for allowing us this opportunity and for bringing all these people together to share this with us. Congratulations to the others that were baptized and thank you for the rest of you that showed up and experienced this amazing event and turning point in my life.

1 friendly remarks:

avandecar4Jesus said...

God is AWESOME!

(any further words detract from His greatness)