I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior in earnest on April 20, 2008. This blog was created to help me take better notice of all the good in the world. I give glory to God for it all.

Friday, June 13, 2008

Sparrows--Day 35

Not to be negative here, but I'm not reading scripture enough and not praying enough. Finding the sparrow jpeg and adding it to this template gave me a reason to read The Bible. I'm still not sure what Matthew 10:31 means. I read one interpretation and he believed it had nothing to do with self-worth. He was not saying it to make his disciples feel better about themselves, because God cares for everyone equally no matter how they feel. Another said he felt it showed another human part of Jesus in that he had " a sense of humor". The pastor says:

It is not immediately clear what comfort we might be expected to take from this. A sparrow might not fall to the ground without the Father's will, but this makes it no less likely that it will fall to the ground. We might be worth more than many sparrows, but if two sparrows can be bought for a farthing, as Jesus says they can, many sparrows might not be worth very much at all.

I don't understand that last sentence. A farthing, according the the KJV of The Bible, is worth 1/16th of a days pay. Many farthings would be worth a full day's pay or more. That seems like it'd be worth quite a bit to me.

I asked Kim about the verse and she said she thought Pastor Don brought it up recently and she believed it was another way to say He loved us very much. I'll go with both the first and last interpretations. He loved us very much, but we shouldn't let it go to our heads. We will never be deserving of what Jesus did for us, but we need to do what we can to put God first in our lives.

I enjoyed my day today. After getting out of work early, I came home and mowed the lawn. I set up the slip 'n' slide for the kids again and then I quit mowing for a bit to play with Noah and then put him down for his much needed nap. Once I was done, Gabrielle and I hit some balls into the net, and then I practiced by myself. I had noticed exactly one plant in our garden had survived, so I took a couple pictures:








Gabrielle guessed it was a watermelon, Matt (pictured) guessed it was a pumpkin and Tim guessed a potato.

After Kim left, one of Gabrielle's friends came over and we took a walk to The Chocolate Milk Store. When Kim came home, I asked her if she got me anything to drink while at the store. She said no, felt a little bad and took the girls to The Store again. She came back with a Mountain Dew, a Monster and a water. Pretty sweet, huh? Yeah, I thought so too.

1 friendly remarks:

Chaplain Ralph said...

Saw your comment on my blog (thomp86.blogspot.com) thanks for your encouragement. I see by your blog that you are a new believer and the Lord is doing a great work in your life and in the life of your family. Yours posts were very inspiring. May you continue to grow in your faith and continue to be blessed by God.