I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior in earnest on April 20, 2008. This blog was created to help me take better notice of all the good in the world. I give glory to God for it all.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

J.O.Y.--Day 371

Jesus
Others
Yourself

I started this blog almost 400 days ago knowing each day was different and every day would bring something new to smile about, something I used to do considerably less often.

It's great when they come when you least expect it.

Today, Noah and I build a tall lego block structure on wheels. We used quite a few blocks and were quite proud of it. He begins to push it around the table when suddenly it falls off and shatters the way a brick building shatters when deconstructed by a wrecking ball. I half expected a look of shock or disappointment. Instead a big smile washes over his face turned into a hearty three year old's laugh. I could see "That was awesome!" in his eyes.

Spontaneous trips to get ice cream are few and far between, but tonight was one of those nights. We each got a blizzard, except for Noah. He was happy with his small chocolate ice cream on a cone. We got home an hour or so later having consumed our fill of ice cream and candy. I pulled into the driveway, put the van in park, and, having recognized the tune on the radio, turned it up a little. As time seemed to stop for just a second, everyone began to sing the opening line: "Who am I that the Lord of all the Earth would care to know my name, would care to feel my hurt?" I smiled and I think we all did in one way or another.

Earlier this summer, I watched Colton as he stood at the plate and thought "What is he doing?" It took another pitch for me to figure it out. Colton was touching the bottom of the plate, the top of the plate, the side farthest from him, then the side closest to him. He drew a straight line down the middle of the plate, then a line across it. Then he points his bat up in the air before grabbing it with both hands intent on crushing a ball to the outfield. I would ask him later why he was drawing a cross on the plate before every pitch. He told me it helped remind him that God was helping him. Awesome. One of Colton's favorite Detroit Tigers was Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez and he found it very interesting how Pudge would do the sign of the cross before every pitch and then after every hit. If he got a hit, Pudge would follow that up by pointing to the sky. I think Pudge may have been an inspiration for him, and seeing Colton do that before every pitch and finding out why he was doing it means more to me than the hits he had and the strikeouts he threw.

I enjoy hearing my kids expand their vocabulary. I noticed one day as Noah said "delicious" perfectly. That same day, I made mention of the word "marvelous" as Gabrielle had used it in her prayer to describe her birthday. That same night Colton thanked God for this wonderful day He had "bestowed" on us. I read some time ago that most people quit adding words to their vocabulary after age 25. I never want to stop and I'd prefer if they didn't either, but that's just me.

Keep Smiling.

That's all I have to say about that.

0 friendly remarks: